Saturday, December 6, 2008

More of India









Things have slowed down a bit here. We still fit lots of things into
our day, but it's not as stressful as it was before. I think they
realized they were killing us with kindness. We had been go go go
since the moment we first stepped off the plane.

The pictures I attached are a few days old, but they cover a lot of
what I've been experiencing. The first is of me with another teammate,
Krissy, and I drinking coconut milk. It's not my drink of choice but
it was interesting. After drinking it, a man with a machete split it
in half so we could eat the coconut flesh inside. It was pretty tasty.

The second picture is of the greeting we received at one school. They
gave us flowers, coconuts and more flowers. The children treat us like
celebrities. Random people ask to take photos of us and everyone is so
friendly, they will walk right up to you and say hello.

Yesterday we went to the largest school in Asia. The Cotton Hill Girls' School has approx. 6,000 students! Can you imagine? Their classrooms had about 40-50 girls, all sitting on benches. It was incredible. We had a short Q and A with them and I was blown away by their maturity and scope of knowledge. They asked us pointed questions about Obama, our political and educational system. I think about how few of our students are so globally aware. They really impressed us. I think they too were fascinated by us, as are most people we meet. I must admit it's a bit disarming. Students and people on the street want to take our pictures like we're celebrities.

Well, I'm being kicked off on the Internet. Until next time...

No comments: