Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Doing the Saree Shuffle

This is a picture of part of our boat ride through the backwaters of Astamudi Lake and around Monroe Island. It was really quite beautiful once I got over the idea that I could easily fall in if somebody so much as sneezed. Along the way we saw a kingfisher (the bird) and other beautiful wildlife. We also tasted a grapefruit-like fruit called Bumblemess (cute, huh?).

Here is where I attempted to make a strand of coir, a rope made of dried coconut husk. To my credit, it's much harder to do than it looks--you need to feed the "hair" at a steady pace with one hand as you guide the rope with the other. I don't know how the cute little old ladies who make the coir do this job everyday.






Then the moment we had all been looking forward to...putting on our beautiful new sarees. Here is a picture of us all decked out with our host family in the middle. They have been so incredibly generous and kind. I already anticipate having a difficult time leaving them. Anyway, I think we looked pretty spiffy. I do have to admit though, it's incredible difficult to walk in and I found my self shuffling along like my knees were tied together. I now have a deep and profound respect for women who wore corsets and who wear sarees on a daily basis. They look beautiful, but I don't think I'll be making any major wardrobe changes any time soon. (Below: Posing with Sukumaran's motorcycle)



1 comment:

- said...

What a beautiful lake. The sight is breathtaking. Ms. Dion, you look like you're having a lot of fun. (Sorry I am finally catching up on your blog, this is late, but MERRY CHRISTMAS!)